The relevance of hybrids and electric cars is a consequence of the increased interest in ecology and rational consumption of natural resources. In the modern world, where cars have become an affordable means of transportation, the number of vehicles is constantly growing, and their impact on the atmosphere and climate is irreversible. The operation of electric and hybrid cars can significantly reduce both the consumption of resources and CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. In addition, all-electric and hybrid cars are cheaper to operate, especially electric cars, which makes them even more popular.
Electric SUV – features, advantages and disadvantages
Experts believe that it is electric SUVs that will take the leading position in sales in the near future. Such a vehicle combines the power and cross-country ability of an SUV with the economy and dynamics of passenger cars.
Pros of an electric SUV:
- zero emissions into the environment;
- the ability to cross water obstacles without a special air supply system;
- higher efficiency compared to hybrids and internal combustion engine vehicles;
- only one transmission stage, which makes the car easier to drive;
- high stability and stability on the road;
- instant response of the electric car to the acceleration pedal;
- fast smooth start and equally smooth fast braking;
- high safety due to the low center of gravity, the absence of a heavy motor that can injure passengers, and the presence of a battery pack that creates a rigid frame;
- quiet operation, quiet running;
- lower energy costs;
- the possibility of charging from the regular power grid.
An electric car does not need to be warmed up before driving in the cold season. There is no need for systematic oil changes and special maintenance, which saves the owner time and money. Electric cars will never have oil leaks and characteristic odor. They are as easy to drive and maintain as possible.
Disadvantages of electric SUVs:
- Long charging time. A full charge from the mains will take several hours (9-12 hours), while a charging station will charge the battery to 80% in 15-50 minutes, while a normal car is charged in minutes.
- Limited mileage on budget electric autos.
- Infrastructure. Despite the popularity of electric transport and the active development of the electric refueling system, not everywhere there are special refueling stations, which can create certain problems on long journeys.
- High cost.
Advantages and disadvantages of a hybrid SUV
The main pros of hybrid SUVs, especially if it’s a full hybrid :
- reduced CO2 emissions into the atmosphere;
- all the advantages of an internal combustion engine;
- better dynamics compared to a conventional car;
- greater range than an electric SUV;
- the cost is lower than electric cars;
- economical fuel consumption, which saves on refueling and reduces the consumption of natural resources.
The most fuel-efficient hybrid SUVs: the top 10 cars that use minimal fuel, cheap to run you’ll find in this ranking.
However, plug-in hybrids also have disadvantages. A hybrid car consumes less fuel than any internal combustion engine car, but an off-road hybrid uses more fuel than small cars. The price of hybrids is higher than gasoline or diesel autos. However, both hybrids and electric cars in Europe belong to the preferential category of motor vehicles, and when importing such cars, owners are exempted from customs duties or pay a reduced rate.
Which SUV should you choose – electric or hybrid?
The choice of vehicle depends on where and how you plan to use it. If you drive mostly in the city, there will be no problems with recharging and no need for a large range. Then you are definitely better to choose an economical, maneuverable electric car. If you drive a lot, for long distances and plan country trips with complex routes away from cities, then it is better to opt for a hybrid SUV.