In the early 50s and 60s, there was so much data that the human race needed to keep, so technology was developed to make human life easier. Normally the middle-aged were the most using the internet, but now everyone from the youngest to the oldest is using the internet. People from different walks of life, races, and income levels worldwide benefit from the internet.
However, as the number of users of the internet increase, there are many complaints about internet safety.
Such complains include:
- Cyberbullying. This is when false information is posted about someone else without their consent. The content posted is normally meant to cause shame to the affected person or people.
- Identify theft. This is when a user on the internet uses information that is not theirs to post or surf the internet. Identity theft is mainly used for theft purposes where they can even steal money and other resources from the victim.
- We are accidentally downloading viruses or malware. As we surf the internet, we may click on links we are not familiar with, and the result is computer viruses that affect our computers and distort the data saved.
- Inappropriate content (especially for the children. Nowadays, anyone can access the internet. In that case, every site and content is open, and children may view content that is not appropriate for their age or safety.
- Cyberstalking is the act of constant contact with someone who may be harassing the internet user. The cyber-stalkers may threaten, libel, or even sexually harass the victim.
The above and many more are the dangers of using the internet. They may seem terrifying, and you might be affected by some of them already. However, there are ways to protect yourself from all the dangers and surf the web safely.
- Use a secure internet connection
We all love public free wi-fi, and in the process, we may get excited and use it without checking if it’s secure. Most cybercriminals will get your information through open and unsecured internet services. Before using the public internet, ensure it’s secured or use it without logging in to your accounts.
- Use strong passwords
It’s easy to use passwords that are easy for us to remember, but that makes them easy for Cybercriminals to get your private information. Sites nowadays emphasize using a strong password that includes letters, numbers, upper case, lower case, and special characters. There is also password manager software that helps you manage passwords.
- Update your antivirus program
Your antivirus software may not protect your computer against all threats, but it will detect and manage most threats. It is essential to make sure your antivirus program is updated and working
- Use private browsing
Using private or incognito mode blocks some websites from accessing your data and using it without your consent. You won’t hide your data from your service provider, but private browsing is still safer. Especially when gaming using online casinos that offer spin gratis, it’s essential to use private browsing.
- Block pop-ups
Pop-ups may be annoying, and it may be easier to accept them to avoid the whole disturbance. Most pop-ups open new windows to push adverts, but others contain links to inappropriate content and even viruses. You can use websites that automatically block pop-ups.
- Interacting online
There’s a high rise in identity theft and catfishing, where people may pretend to be who they are not and get the private information that may be used against them in many ways. There are con artists and even sexual predators taking advantage of the internet rise to find their victims. The con artist assumes the identity of a loved one so as to convince you and then exploit you in whatever way they please. The bottom line is don’t trust just anyone on the internet.
We’ve all heard the phrase ‘ the internet doesn’t forget. You might delete something you posted, but that doesn’t delete other copies people made. You could also share personal information that could threaten your life or your loved ones. It’s also necessary to be careful with what you post because it may be a form of cybercrimes that may get you into trouble.
The internet has made our lives easier in many ways. We can easily access information and communicate with people globally. It has created a source of income for many households. However, several negative effects affect us psychologically and mentally. They are but a few ways to protect yourself and your information from cyber-crimes and help you surf the internet safely.