Steps To Protect Your Rights After Facing Sexual Harassment At Workplace

In the employment workplace, the victim often feels helpless regarding sexual harassment. Many victims stay quiet and tolerate it because they feel hopeless or fear losing their job. However, in reality, the victim can take action against sexual harassment by filing a lawsuit. 

If you or someone you know someone who has faced sexual harassment at the workplace, contact employment attorney virginia. An attorney can help you protect your rights and get justice for you. 

Steps to protect your rights after facing sexual harassment at the workplace

Sexual harassment does not mean to be “sexual”; it can be offensive comments, laufhaus teasing, or intimidating. Sometimes sexual harassment can be anything else like sex or ethnicity.

  • Speak for yourself

If you are a victim of sexual harassment, you should let the responsible party know that their behavior is offensive or inappropriate. Most of the time, this step can resolve the problem. If the issue is not resolved, at least put the harasser on notice that you find their conduct offensive. 

  • Follow your employer’s procedure.

Even after the first step, if the harassment does not stop, many companies have procedures to handle sexual harassment in their workplace. If your company has such a method, follow it to the letter and notify your department. 

If your company has no such policies, you can report your case to your immediate supervisor. If complaining to the supervisor does not work out, make your complaint to the supervisor’s superior. In a hostile workplace, always make sure that your company’s management is aware of the harassment. Keep a record of the harassment episodes, incidents of the harassment, complaints, and what the responsible party said. 

  • Protest against the incident.

Suppose the victim can get together with two or more co-workers to raise voices and concerns against the harassment. In that case, they engage in “concerted activity,” which is legal under the National Labor Relations Act. 

  • File lawsuit with the government agency

The victim can file charges with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or your state’s employment agency–the Virginia Fair Housing Act. The victim also has the right to tell their employer that they planned to file a charge and should not think about retaliating against you. 

  • Litigation.

The victim can bring a civil lawsuit if the appropriate government agency has the “right to sue” letter for any injuries you have suffered from sexual harassment. You are not required to show your injuries. The most common injuries of sexual harassment are mainly emotional injuries suffered by the victim. 

  • Talk to your lawyer.

If you want to speak to someone about your options, contacting your lawyer might help. Your lawyer will provide you with legal information, assistance, and advice about filing a claim. 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button