Things To Keep In Mind When Buying A Used Two-Wheeler

When buying a used bike, assess its condition the seller’s credibility, and ensure you have the necessary paperwork for a legal transfer.

Registration Certificate (RC)

The seller should provide the RC book; the buyer is responsible for verifying the seller’s identity and details. Ensure accurate information, like the vehicle number and duty payment stamp. Correct listing of the seller as the current owner in the RC is crucial for formal registration at the RTO.

The RC book will bear a bank seal if a bank finances the bike. To complete the purchase, the buyer must get Form 35 attested by the bank and obtain an NOC letter confirming loan clearance. Removing the credit section at the RTO involves a fee.

Two-Wheeler Policy Document

In India, third-party two-wheeler insurance is mandatory for RTO registration. When buying a second-hand bike, the seller should transfer the online insurance for the bike. 

The new owner can get a new policy if the old one has expired. Various insurance companies offer options, and you can buy online insurance for bikes by comparing features and coverage.

  • The buyer must submit Forms Nos. 28, 29, and 30 to the RTO; the vehicle seller should have these forms.
  • The No Objection Certificate (NOC) is Form No. 28. If the buyer plans to use the bike in another state for more than a year, they must have three duplicate copies of the NOC. This form is not applicable if the vehicle is intended to be used within the state.
  • The notification of the transfer of vehicle ownership is Form 29. You must turn in two photocopies of the same document.
  • The report of a motor vehicle’s ownership transfer is Form No. 30. One additional copy is needed.
  • The buyer must receive information about the road tax from the vehicle’s seller. The RTO needs to receive the same.

When purchasing a used two-wheeler, don’t forget to check if it’s time to renew your bike insurance for the added security you need.*

Certificate Of Pollution Under Control (PUC)

For vehicles over six months old, a PUC certificate is a must. The new owner should obtain it if the previous owner didn’t have one. Additionally, provide proof of address, two photos, and a sale receipt to the RTO for a smooth and legal ownership transfer.

Your initial discussions with the seller will reveal a lot about the bike. To learn more about the bike’s maintenance history, consider the following inquiries:

  • Was the bike used or brand-new when you purchased it?
  • Is the bike still financed by you, or do you own it? Having the title, do you? Purchasing it becomes more challenging if the owner does not possess the title.
  • Have you ever dropped your bike or been in an accident?
  • How frequently do you fix your bike? Could you show me the relevant records if you have them?
  • For servicing, where do you take your bike?

When purchasing a used two-wheeler, remember to utilize a bike insurance calculator to estimate insurance costs and ensure you make an informed decision.

* Standard T&C Apply

Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button