What is Skirting In Interior Designing? Types and Purposes
Skirting boards are nothing just boards that act as borders between the flooring and the interior wall of a building. You must have come across improper edges or scratches due to the furniture on your floor or walls, skirting boards can fix those scratches by covering them up and provide a cool finish to your home decor as well.
As a result of growing trends in Interior designing, skirting and playing the types and designs of skirting boards has evolved with the evolution of such modern ideas. Skirting boards are available in a range of designs, materials, types, edge finishings, moulding etc.
Given below, the purposes and types of skirting have been discussed, take a clear look before you take any decision.
Purpose of Skirting
For some interior designing enthusiasts, skirting is just an aspect of beautification but for some, it’s an excellent method to conceal the unwanted outcomes of regular activities in the interior walls of houses or workplaces or maybe renovating projects etc. Earlier, these skirting boards were used to protect the walls from soiling and getting damaged due to water contact when the floor was mopped and thus for some time, the skirting boards were also known as mop boards.
Skirting boards can be installed for several purposes, a few of them are mentioned below to clear your doubts about installing them:
1. Conceal exposed electrical wiring:
Is your house old enough to not feature the in-wall electrical wiring feature? Does that look odd as per your houses’ aesthetics? It’s time to hide all those blemishes of your house which can be not removed. Give yourself a dip by taking this more practical and economical way of hiding electrical wires facilitated by skirting boards and make yourself lucky enough to cut off all the extra expenses(if covered under the ceiling).
2. Cover the space between the floors and walls:
At times, construction flops may result in certain gaps between the floor and wall and that is a pretty unwanted look to the finish and shine of your house. An alternative to re-doing all that costly and time-consuming work is to consider installing economy friendly skirting boards.
3. Avoid Scratch Marks From Furniture:
The skirting boards ensure a gap between the furniture and your wall and thus avoid unnecessary rubbing and scratching marks from the furniture.
Types of Skirting
Based on the material and design, the skirting boards can be of different types:
- Pencil Skirting: If you’ve patterned walls or plain walls then going with pencil skirting can be the accurate choice of skirting design that will bring out a clear finish look to your room.
- Wooden Skirting: Installing wooden skirting will be a rich choice to impart a sophisticated look to your home, especially if you’ve marble or tiled floors. It will eventually give an impression of traditional and ornamental looking decors.
- Metal Skirting: Gives a modern look that adds a light texture to the interiors of your home.
- Continued Skirting: Continued skirting is provided as a continuation of similar coloured elements of your house, for instance, the staircase.
- Double Layered Skirting
It involves two-toned skirting boards giving a detailed outlook and design to your room.
Read More: World Latest News Website thebuzzie.com and newdailyinformer.com also check tech social blog site igview.co