An automotive or industrial AGM Battery is a lead-acid type DC power source. The device features a hermetic housing and improved current characteristics, allowing the battery to be used for car audio or to drive additional devices (for example, an electric winch). Also, the devices have found application on cars equipped with a start-stop system that helps reduce fuel consumption.
When And Why AGM Technology Appeared
The first lead-acid current sources appeared in the second half of the 19th century. With the development of technology, batteries have also improved (inrush current and capacity have increased while weight and dimensions have decreased).
The advent of electronic devices with increased energy consumption has led to the development of fiberglass, capable of absorbing and retaining liquid inside. For the first time, such a material, which received the designation AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat), was successfully produced by the specialists of the chemical laboratory of the Gates Rubber Company (USA).
The Difference Between AGM And GEL Batteries
A solution of sulfuric acid and distilled water is used with addition of silicone thickener in the design of gel direct current sources.
The resulting substance is poured between the battery plates, ensuring the solidity of the structure and the continuity of the electrochemical reaction.
The gel prevents damage and destruction of the electrode surface, it is allowed to flip the current source by 180°. The disadvantages of batteries are increased cost and poor resistance to charging with increased voltage.
Overview Of AGM Batteries From Different Manufacturers
Each battery manufacturer produces its own AGM series:
- The Exide EK600 AGM is designed for assembly line installation on BMW vehicles equipped with Efficients Dynamics. The cost of the device starts from 9.9 thousand rubles, the cold scroll current reaches 680 A. The battery is built according to a flat scheme, the capacity is increased to 60 Ah.
- The cost of the Exide Dual EP450 AGM car battery is 11.9 thousand rubles. The product has a spiral design. An alloy of lead with calcium is used for positive and negative plates for manufacturing. The product provides a scroll current of up to 750 A, the capacity is 50 Ah.
- Batteries manufactured by Varta and Bosch are equipped with unified housings made of impact-resistant plastic. The Bosch S5 A05 AGM modification has a cost of 10.1 thousand rubles, provides a starting current of up to 680 A. It is highly recommended by the Varta and Bosch manufacturers that you must use battery only on those vehicles who have large amount of electronic equipment.
- The Optima RedTop 8022 starter battery, built in a spiral configuration, allows starting current up to 730 A. The design provides additional side terminals. Products are manufactured in the United States, the cost is 13.8 thousand rubles.
- The flat configuration product Tudor Intelligent Power TK700 AGM, manufactured by a Spanish factory, provides current up to 760 A. The manufacturer provides a 2-year warranty, the cost starts from 10.9 thousand rubles. The Intelligent Power series of power sources was developed taking into account the wishes of European automotive concerns for products equipped with start-stop systems.
Pros And Cons Of Technology
The advent of AGM batteries with improved performance has not stopped the further development of traditional lead-acid current sources.
The distribution of products is limited by the increased cost and a number of design features that do not allow the installation of batteries on old-style machines.
When buying a device, you must consider all the positive and negative sides of AGM batteries.
Advantages of power sources with AGM separators:
- The design of the direct current source does not require periodic maintenance during operation;
- Reduced internal resistance helps to reduce the self-discharge current;
- To prevent the release of gases and electrolyte, special valves are used to prevent corrosion of the terminals and elements around the power source;
- Plates are not subject to corrosion during application;
- With the correct charging algorithm, gas emission is insignificant, which increases the fire safety of the battery;
- There is no drop in capacity during long-term operation in conditions of incomplete charge;
- The battery can be used at an angle (180° rotation is prohibited);
- Maintaining the performance characteristics of the electrolytic solution at temperatures up to -30°C;
- Increased service life under conditions of temperature fluctuations and vibration loads.
Negative sides of AGM batteries:
- Heavy construction weight, typical for lead-acid direct current sources;
- Charging requires the use of the original unit;
- Storage in a discharged state is not allowed (the minimum voltage of the can should not fall below 1.8 V);
- Degradation of electrodes and electrolyte with increasing voltage in the charging circuit;
- The use of environmentally harmful lead oxide in the design of electrode plates;
- Increased cost (compared to batteries of traditional design).