It is important to take care of your teeth to stay healthy. Sometimes it takes more than just brushing your teeth twice in a day and occasional teeth whitening. Regular visits to dental clinics are an essential part of your oral care. However, do you know which type of dentist you need to see? Read on to make the right choice.
Dentists are the specialized health care professionals who diagnose and treat oral diseases. There are many types of dentists practicing dental care in the US. If you are wondering how to find a dentist near you, then you can visit denTEL. You’ll get all the details you need about the dentist before requesting your appointment.
Brief on some of the common types of dentists –
- General dentists: As the term suggests, they are primary dental care providers. They treat your common oral health issues and do routine dental check-ups. They diagnose the symptoms and provide treatment. If you need treatment for severe oral health disorders, they will refer you to a specialized dentist.
- Pediatric dentists: They treat dental health issues of babies, toddlers and young teenagers. They help in maintaining the dental health of your children.
- Periodontist: They treat the diseases that are related to the gums and the supporting bone structure of the teeth. The most common ailments they treat are gingivitis and periodontitis. Some of the other treatments they do are pocket cleanings, bone grafting, root planing, crown lengthening procedures, osteoplasty and even dental implanting.
- Endodontist: They treat fungal infections, allergic reactions and the injuries of the dental pulp. They provide dental specialized root canal treatments and restorative root procedures of teeth.
- Orthodontists: They are specialized in treating irregularities of teeth and jaw. In simple words, they treat dental abnormalities and improve their patient’s biting ability. They treat the misaligned teeth and jaws to improve the patient’s smile and even treat overcrowded mouths. Malocclusion, dental decay, gum diseases and difficulty in chewing are some of the dental issues treated by expert orthodontists.
- Prosthodontist: They specialize in restoring natural teeth and replace missing teeth. They design artificial teeth known as dentures to be fixed in place of natural missing teeth. They place crowns or caps permanently in place of extracted or missing teeth. In short, they are experts in replacing any teeth with their artificial replica.
- Oral and maxillofacial radiologist: They specialize in taking x-rays and collecting other data to rightly diagnose dental
- Oral surgeon: They perform all the surgical treatments of the face, mouth and jaw. They treat people suffering from facial injuries and perform implant dentistry. They provide treatment for people having cysts, tumors and masses within their jaws.