Weight loss is one of the most significant issues people of all ages and sexes face. Some people can successfully achieve good health through diet and exercise. In contrast, some need to work on achieving their desired figures on the scale. This is where a swallowable gastric balloon helps!
The new weight loss balloon allows you to eat less by keeping your stomach full. Read further to determine whether you meet the criteria for a weight loss balloon and its cost.
What is Swallowable Gastric Balloon Surgery?
Swallowable gastric balloon is a non-invasive procedure for individuals who are overweight or obese and have not achieved significant weight loss through diet and lifestyle changes alone.
The swallowable capsule balloon is made of silicone, and no sedation is required for its placement or removal.
However, this procedure is not recommended for all individuals who are obese. A simple criterion exists for one to be eligible for the same. It includes
- Individuals with body mass index (BMI) above 27 or class III obesity
- Above 18 years of age
The weight loss balloon works in conjunction with lifestyle modifications, including dietary changes and regular exercise. It is not a standalone solution but a tool to assist individuals in their weight loss journey.
Benefits of Swallowable Gastric Balloon
The many benefits of swallowable gastric ballooning are
- No incision or anaesthesia is required.
- No hospitalisation required
- Reduces calorie consumption
- Shorter recovery period
- Lower risk of complications
While there are many advantages to gastric balloon surgery, it’s important to remember that every patient will experience the procedure differently. It is essential to seek advice from a licensed healthcare practitioner to assess the procedure’s suitability and comprehend the potential dangers and advantages depending on specific circumstances.
Swallowable Gastric Balloon Procedure
Swallowable gastric ballooning is an outpatient, non-surgical procedure that takes 10 to 15 minutes to complete. In this procedure, the swallowable intragastric balloon is compressed in a capsule form (attached to a catheter) which the patient has to swallow with water.
The procedure involves the following steps:
- The patient will be given the capsule that needs to be swallowed with water.
- The capsule descends to the oesophagus with each gulp of water and eventually reaches the stomach.
- At this point, the doctor takes an abdominal X-ray to determine whether the capsule has entered the stomach in the proper location.
- Once this is determined, the physician uses the catheter to inject around 550 ml of water into the deflated balloon capsule.
- Once the balloon is filled, the doctor takes another X-ray. This is done to make sure the water-filled balloon is positioned correctly.
- The catheter is pulled out, and the patient is ready!
Weight Loss Balloon Procedure Cost in India
The typical swallowable gastric balloon cost ranges between ₹ 3,00,000 and ₹ 3,50,000. However, it’s essential to remember that this is only an approximate cost, and the actual expense may vary based on the patient’s unique situation and the healthcare provider they select.
Swallowable Weight Loss Balloon Cost Breakup
|Expense||Average Cost (INR)|
|Doctor Consultation Fee||₹ 1,000|
|Surgeon and Assistant Surgeon Cost||₹ 65,000|
|Balloon Cost||₹ 2,70,000|
|Diagnostic and Lab Tests||₹ 2,500|
|Diet and Nutrition Cost||₹ 30,000 FREE*|
|Follow up||₹ 2,000|
The diet and nutrition cost is provided free of cost by HexaHealth experts.
Factors Affecting the Swallowable Gastric Balloon Cost
The price of gastric balloon surgery in India might vary depending on several elements. The most significant factors that can affect the weight loss balloon cost include the following:
- Location: Prices for medical procedures can fluctuate between Indian cities. In metropolitan locations like Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore, prices may be higher compared to smaller towns or cities.
- Hospital and Surgeon: The quality of the hospital performing the procedure and the surgeon performing it can impact the price. Due to their track record and success rates, trustworthy hospitals with skilled bariatric surgeons might ask for higher fees.
- Pre and Post-operative Care: Preoperative examinations, the procedure itself, and post-operative care are often included in the price of gastric balloon surgery. It also entails support throughout the weight loss, regular follow-up consultations, and dietary advice. Make sure you ask about the services that are included in the pricing that was given.
- Type of Gastric Balloon: There are several different kinds of gastric balloons available in the market, and the one you choose can determine how much it will cost altogether. While some balloons are long-term fixes, others are transitory and must be removed after a few months.
- Number of Balloons Required: One weight loss balloon or a sequential balloon after six months may be recommended depending on your body and target weight.
- Diet and Nutrition Cost: You will be assisted by a personalised dietician and nutritionist who will monitor your weight regularly for 3-6 months.
Financing Options for Gastric Balloon Surgery in India
Gastric balloon surgery is not always covered by insurance. However, when the surgery is done to treat medical conditions such as daytime sleepiness, morbid obesity, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), constant back pain, and knee pain, it is mostly covered under insurance and health care schemes.
While government organisations do not financially cover the procedure, it is covered by the following institutions:
- Private medical insurance
- EMI and medical loan
Obesity is a deadly disease that needs to be taken seriously. People must understand that this one problem can open doors to multiple difficulties entering your life. Swallowable gastric balloon surgery is a successful and non-invasive option to eliminate all that extra weight and find your way to a healthy life.
Are you thinking about where to find the right medical aid for all your big and small medical needs? If yes, then your search ends here with us at HexaHealth. Discover more about gastric balloon surgery and what to do next. Get in touch with a doctor at HexaHealth today! You will receive support from our medical regarding many other essential aspects as you continue your journey to good health.