IV Therapy: What Is It and How Does It Work?
Intravenous therapy ( IV therapy for short ) is a medical method in which fluids, drugs, and food are injected directly into a person’s vein. The intravenous route is usually used for re hydration or to provide nutrition for those who cannot ingest food or water by mouth. It can also be used for taking medications or other medical therapies such as blood products or electrolytes to correct electrolyte imbalances.
Nurses administer IV therapies to patients, whether for dehydration or medical emergencies. Additionally, IV therapy provides relief from cold, flu, morning sickness, and hangover symptoms.
How Does IV Therapy Work?
Vervehc provides IV therapy and hormones therapy in Bend and the procedure is very easy and convenient. The process of receiving an IV therapy is pretty consistent regardless of what type you receive. The nurse administering the treatment will explain the procedure to you. For as long as the therapy lasts, you’ll be seated comfortably. Injection sites are disinfected and needles are directly inserted into veins by the nurse. However, the IV can also be placed in another location.
Immediately after inserting the IV, the nurse checks the pump to ensure the appropriate rate of delivery. Manual or electronic pumps can be used for IV therapy. A catheter is used to drip the liquid into the body. Fluids from the IV bag are absorbed directly into the bloodstream. This method is faster than oral administration. To keep the catheter in place, you must remain still. Additionally, you can browse, read, and watch television on your phone at the same time.
What Vitamins and Fluids Are in an IV Bag?
Depending on the type of therapy you are receiving, you will receive different fluids in an IV bag. Saline, vitamins, minerals, and medications can be included in intravenous solutions. The most common components of IV bags are:
- Saline: An IV bag typically contains a saline solution. You receive other elements of your IV therapy through saline, made of water and sodium chloride.
- Dextrose: You may have dextrose in your IV bag, which is a sugar. IV therapy with dextrose can help bring low blood sugar levels back to normal. The body can also use dextrose as an energy source.
- Lactated Ringer’s: Sodium lactate, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, and water make up this IV solution. The Lactated Ringer’s solution can also be used to deliver other ingredients.
- Vitamin B: Vitamin B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, B-9, and B-12 are referred to collectively as vitamin B complex. Many patients who have trouble absorbing vitamins naturally receive Vitamin B complex through IV therapy.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C plays an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system. Vitamin C can be beneficial in your IV therapy if you are sick or feel like you are getting sick.
- Calcium: An IV therapy might include calcium, a mineral we need for good health.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is another mineral that is important for good metabolic health. Many benefits can be obtained from this supplement, including pain reduction, preventing migraines, as well as reducing inflammation.
- Antioxidants: There are different types of antioxidants that you can take as part of your IV therapy, such as glutathione, as well as vitamins C, A, or E.
- Antibiotics: Patients suffering from infections may receive IV antibiotics.
Benefits of an IV Therapy
Different people can benefit from IV therapy for different reasons. Some of the main benefits include:
- Easy and convenient: It’s unlikely that you will wish to visit a hospital or doctor until you are sick. IV therapy offers convenience and ease for many common symptoms. I.V. therapy is not difficult. IV therapy doesn’t even require you to leave your home. You can access concierge services, such as Mobile IV Medics. A small pinch is all that is needed to insert the IV. It should not cause any discomfort after it has been inserted. You can watch TV, read or use your device while the IV drip does its job.
- Health and wellness: IV therapy is typically used to promote health and wellness. Taking fluids, vitamins and minerals can keep your immune system working well, improve your skin and hydrate you. Your energy levels can also be improved when you have the right balance of vitamins and minerals in your body.
Getting Started with IV Therapy
The Cure Wellness Mobile IV Medics provides concierge services for IV therapy throughout Arizona. The nurses at Cure Wellness are trained to deliver IV therapy in the comfort of your home or office.